Personally signed by the Author
Congratulations to SL’s editor-in-chief, Lystra Rose, whose debut novel, The Upwelling, has collected these awards:
- Winner of the 2023 NSW Premier’s Ethel Turner Prize for Young People’s Literature
- Winner of the 2023 Victorian Premier’s Literary Prize for Indigenous Writing
- Winner of the State Library of QLD’s 2018 black&write fellowship (manuscript)
- Shortlisted for the 2023 Prime Minister’s Literary Awards for Young Adult Literature
- Shortlisted for the 2023 NSW Premier’s UTS Glenda Adams Award for New Writing
- Shortlisted for the 2023 Readings Young Adult Prize
- Longlisted for the 2023 ARA Historical Novel Prize in the Children and Young Adult category
By Lystra Rose
Two warring spirits.
One chance to save the world.
Kirra is the great-granddaughter of a truth dreamer, and, like Great Nanna Clara, no-one believes her night-visions are coming true. When an end-of-the-world nightmare forces her to surf where her brother was killed, she time-slips into a place that could ruin her life, here, and in the Dreaming.
Narn is the son of a well-respected Elder and holds an enviable role in his saltwater clan. Though he bears the marks of a man, many treat him like an uninitiated boy, including the woman he wants to impress.
Tarni is the daughter of a fierce hunter and the custodian of a clever gift. Somehow, she understands Kirra when no-one else can. But who sent this unexpected visitor: a powerful ancient healer or an evil shadow-spirit?
When death threatens all life, can a short-sighted surfer, a laidback dolphin caller, and a feisty language unweaver work together to salvage our future?